Ride Report: St. Thomas 2022 Trilogy - Episode 2: Railway City 100

 Route / Event: Railway City 100 / 100km Populaire [ Ride Log ]


I was first to arrive at the ride's starting point. Today we would launch from the Railway City Brewing Company, a microbrew located in the center of St. Thomas, ON. I still had forty minutes before the depart time, so I sat back in my vehicle and enjoyed the drive-thru breakfast I'd picked up coming through Lambeth. 

Not too long after, another vehicle pulled into the lot. After confirming I was here for the ride as well, the man introduced himself as Jim. Jim had come in from Sarnia and this was his first ride with the Randonneurs Ontario club in over five years. (We would also later learn that today was Jim's birthday!). Michel arrived next, and by this time the rain started to hammer down. With our bikes unloaded and packed, but with no place to shelter, all we cold do was wait inside our own vehicles as others arrived. Once Tim and Brenda arrived, the rain had slightly abated. Before leaving we called the final registrant for the ride, Marc, who confirmed he was on his way, and assured us he would catch us. And so, as a group of five, with a sixth behind, we set off. 

Mud-sliding in Waterworks Park
The first part of the route required us to drop down into Waterworks Park by way of some paths that Google Maps marked as 'bicycle friendly'. I doubt the Google Maps engineers ever tried to take 32c tires down a muddy, grassy decline while it rained. My tires cut into the soft earth like pizza cutters and my bike tipped over. Thankfullt the wet muddy ground provided a soft landing. I hiked my bike the rest of the way down, and mounted it on the level marshy path. As we circumnavigated the reservoir pond we agreed this pathway area would need to be bypassed. Together, we planned a route that would avoid these paths, but not trim too much distance off the ride. As we climbed out of the park, we intercepted Marc. I think Tim was about to explain the detour we were taking, but I could tell by Marc's smile that Tim wasn't succeeding in selling him on the detour. Marc was keen to take on the course as designed. 

Leaving Marc to fate and his devices, the rest of us used S Edgeward Rd to detour around the Dalewood Resevoir, a paved road with a painted bicycle lane. The lane allowed us to ride two-abreast safely but, despite this welcome feature, we were still greeted by the horn blaring of a pick-up truck, who must have still felt we cyclists belong on the sidewalk. Noticing a red light ahead, Tim peeled off the front after him. 

"I'm guessing he's not going to say hello to someone he recognized." I said to Brenda, as we approached the intersection. I'm not actually sure what the interaction was between the two -- Tim only confirmed that the driver apologized. 

As we closed the detour loop. we met up with Marc, who had endured the entire original path through the Waterworks pathways. Apparently we had missed "a lot of fun!". (I'll bring my 29er next time).  

The long road east
The rain had stopped by the time we'd left St. Thomas and headed into Belmont. Belmont is a quaint town that I've passed through on my of my out-of-towner rides from London. Michel mentioned that the Belmont Town Restaurant does a wonderful breakfast buffet on the weekend, which we resolved to check out on a future outing. Once we turned onto Avon Dr. my nav notified me that our next turn wouldn't be for 28kms. 

Though this stretch could be seen as boring due to it's flat, straight nature, I enjoy them. On a solo ride, they can be very meditative, providing the mental space to just be with oneself. Today, in an audax-style group such as we were, it provided the opportunity to chat with each member of the group as we rotated through positions in our peloton. Brenda and I devised scavenger-hunt like games that could be played on a brevet to add an element of eccentric entertainment. Tim and I pontificated on how a mobile app could be built around brevets registration and check-in. Marc and I discussed the differences between the cycling clubs in London, and our experiences with each. Jim's bike, a Trek Domane circa 2013, I recognized as a predecessor to my Checkpoint, and we chatted about their similarities and differences of that line's evolution. 

Engaging conversation stopped though as we turned south toward Tillsonburg, pulling in single file on the much busier (and therefore louder) county highway. Tillsonburg marked the halfway point of our route. We found a Tim Horton's nestled in a strip mall and stopped there for a coffee and a bite. At one point we thought we noticed a local vagrant going through one of our bicycles' packs, but that turned out to be Michel, and he was just getting his wallet. (Sorry Michel!) 

Recognizing that the weather had improved, and that we had the whole group with us, we snapped a quick group photo before clipping in again and setting off. 

Left to right: Brenda, Jim, Marc, Michel, Tim, Fred
The long road west
The road westward was less linear but still very quiet. The quiet however, was periodically interrupted by more vehicles blaring their horns as they passed us. One pick-up truck even rolled down his passenger window to provide me with some "advice", but if she thought I could hear anything she was saying over the roar of her engine, she was sadly mistaken. (At least no one was rolling coal today!). 

RANDO-RANT: The conventional wisdom behind this age-old conflict is that motorists do not believe that it is legal for cyclists to ride two-abreast on a country road. Those motorist are woefully misinformed. 

The share the road sign is used to warn motorists that they are to provide safe space on the road for cyclists and other vehicles. This sign also warns motorists and cyclists to exercise additional caution on the upcoming section of road. (Source: Ontario Road Signs)

Unless there are local bylaws that override the Highway Traffic Act (which is rare), the HTA only expressly forbids side-by-side riding in areas where traffic would be impeded -- i.e. would have no ability to pass. It does not forbid it two-abreast riding in areas where safe passing is possible. The HTA suggests cyclists ride single file and as far to the right as possible "where practicable". Country roads who's edges are often lined with potholes, glass, garbage, and roadkill, do not meet this definition of 'practicable'.  

If only it were that simple though. The conflict, I believe, goes much deeper. I believe that most motorists properly see cyclists as vulnerable road users, and are offended by their presence because they see cycling on the same road used by motorized vehicles like 'swimming with the sharks'. They fear being the one that ends up with a cyclist under their wheels and their anger comes from having confronted that possibility. How dare we out them in that uncomfortable position out of our own enjoyment! 

To all the honkers out there who believe cyclists shouldn't share the road, I'll simply say "Your facts are wrong, and your opinions are irrelevant. Just pass us safely like everyone else and get on with your day". Rant over. 

The last leg

Tim O'Callahan - The Helping Hand of Huron
Moving westward along Edgeware Line we noticed we had dropped Jim, so a few of us turned back. Jim had dismounted half a kilometer back and was stretching out a cramped leg. I looked at my map and saw we only had about 8km to go until we arrived back at the brewery. When Jim felt ready to remount, we encouraged him to shift down and spin faster rather then resorting to the brute strength of mashing the pedals. Tim even pushed him along to ease the burden as much as possible. But a few more kilometers up the road I looked back and noticed the two had stopped. Jim was lying on the ground, in absolute discomfort, with Brenda stretching out his legs. What a memorable birthday this was turning out to be for our fellow rider. 

"I'm done!" Jim finally stated, once he'd caught his breath. I looked at my watch -- 101.4km travelled. My nav confirmed we had 3.8km to the endpoint. 

"Well, you passed 100km" I said, trying to sound reassuring. 
"That's complete as far as I'm concerned" Tim agreed. 

Tim and Brenda had arranged to have some members of the Railway City Cycling Club meet us at the brewery when we returned. Jim's daughter, Maria, who also lived in town, would also be waiting. We were asked not arouse any concern from her. And so, while Brenda stayed with Jim, rest of us booked it back to the brewery. Along the way Tim got a call from her confirming Jim was doing much better, so that provided a sense of relief. 

When we arrived back at the brewery, Tim hopped in his truck to go fetch the two of them. Michel bid farewell, having family commitments to return to in London, and Marc continued on to a Tim Horton's he'd mistakenly thought we were meeting at that morning. I found myself alone in the parking lot as I loaded my gear into my car. 

"You guys left my dad behind didn't you?" said the woman in the car next to mine. Right! His daughter was here!

I assumed that by this point his daughter, Maria, might have heard from her dad, just as we had heard from Brenda, so I wasn't about to be vague. "Jim's coming. He's about 3 clicks out -- his legs just completely quit on him as soon as he rolled over 100km. He's with another rider. That truck that just left will bring him in" I said.

Maria had apparently chided Jim for wanting to ride 100k after a long absence from endurance cycling, but I assured her he'd done it. I wanted her to be proud of her old man. Especially on his birthday. 

The after-party

Left to right: Maria, Jim, Hilary, Rachel, Marc,
Fred, Marc, Tim (photo credit: Brenda) 
With the ride behind us we assembled on the patio, meeting Rachel and Mark, and their daughter Hilary. Rachel and Mark were friends of Tim and Brenda, and members of the local Railway City Cycling club. Rachel and Mark were a month away from embarking on a Dublin to Copenhagen pub ride offered by TDA Global Cycling, so I look forward to reconnecting with these two later on this year and hearing all about that. 

We debriefed the day over pizza and beer -- a fitting end to populaire season, with brevet events starting up next month. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ride Report: Oh Karen, where art thou?

Ride Report: St. Thomas 2022 Trilogy - Episode 1: Railway City 70

A tale of two Fleche Teams: Randonneurs Ontario Fleche 2023